The Community of Weyers Cave experienced a surge of growth and activity in the beginning of the 20th Century. Though a number of churches worshipped and served in surrounding areas, there was no church located in the Weyers Cave village. Area Methodists attended the old Naked Creek Methodist Church, which was located about one and a half miles northwest of Weyers Cave. This church relocated and is now known as Bethany United Methodist Church.
Plans to form a new church in the village of Weyers Cave began in 1904 with a group of eight people. On March 13, 1905, land was purchased from I. B. Kagey and Maude E. L. Kagey for a sum of $150.00.
Soon after, the contractor Eutsler Brothers of Grottoes built a sanctuary and three Sunday school rooms. Services began in the winter of 1905-1906. When opening, there were no pews so the new congregation sat in chairs.
The church began as part of the Mt. Crawford Charge and a member of the Baltimore Conference. The Rev. J. M. Anderson served as the first Pastor. In March, Weyers Cave Church was transferred to the Port Republic Charge. The Port Republic Charge records indicate that the following members were transferred to the Weyers Cave Church in July of 1906: Mr. & Mrs. I. B. Kagey, Mr. and Mrs. E. P. Skelton, Mr. and Mrs. A. R. Glover, Mr. L. A. Rodgers, Mrs. Mary Tutwiler and Mr. G. L. Showalter. Mrs. Nettie VanPelt Funkhouser also became a member soon after.
Over time, six classrooms were added.
In the 1960’s, the church building expanded with two restrooms, another classroom, and a utility room. An educational wing that includes a large social hall and kitchen was completed for the observance of the church’s 60th anniversary in 1966.
In 1980, the sanctuary was completely remodeled and renovated. The entire layout of the sanctuary was reversed. During this same period, brick was placed around the exterior of the older building. A consecration service was celebrated on September 28, 1980.
The church installed stained-glass windows and held a dedication service in January of 1982.
In 1985, through the generous contributions of friends and family, the narthex was renovated in memory of Hazle Sherman Morris.
In the mid 1990s new padded oak pews were installed in the sanctuary.
In 1998, an enthusiastic group of church members, namely the Spirit Seekers, remodeled the social hall and kitchen with new paint, wallpaper and window dressings. They also renovated the hallway and bathrooms connecting the sanctuary and education building.
The bell tower needed repair and through a very generous donation to our church in memory of Thurman and Edith Groah, the bell and tower was repaired in 2011 and now rings each Sunday morning prior to our worship service.
We have renovated our bathrooms, making them handicap accessible.
With an aging congregation and a Fellowship Hall on the second floor, a need was recognized for either an elevator or a chair lift. The Trustees did much research and in Spring of 2016 a chair lift was purchased and installed. Church members have come forward with pledges and done fundraising and a grant was received from the Conference in order to pay for this project.
The church, Jesus’ church, is here today to serve the Weyers Cave village.
CHURCHES UNITE WITH WEYERS CAVE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Timber Ridge and Union Chapel are important parts of Weyers Cave United Methodist Church. Timber Ridge and Weyers Cave share a special relationship because they were part of the same charge. Timber Ridge was located a quarter mile east of State Route 276 on State Route 668. In the 1950’s the church was torn down ( a residential home currently occupies the original site) and some of the members of that congregation united with the Weyers Cave Church.
Union Chapel was located on State Route 773 where you can still visit the church cemetery. The last worship service was held on June 3, 1984. The church was sold and dismantled in November of 1984. While it’s closing was the conclusion of a great story of faith, it brought many valued and respected members to the Weyers Cave Church.
We worship Sunday mornings at 11 am and on special occasions like Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, and Holy Week. Check out the events page. And every Sunday we are sent out to serve Jesus in our families, neighborhoods, and work places.
We praise God for the blessings of the past one hundred six years and look forward to what our Lord has in store as we journey together into the future.